You’re blessed to be in the middle of the nation. While there’s so much to see and do in and around Kansas City, a fantastic destination is never far away. You can get virtually anywhere in the United States within a day or two by road, with Alaska and Hawaii the obvious exceptions. So why not take a road trip? Pack the family into the car and hit the open highway for one of America’s many hot spots. To make it even easier, here are 5 top road trip destinations from Kansas City.
- The Colorado Rockies. Head out on a skiing or snowboarding trip to one of the most serene and scenic places the United States has to offer. The city of Loveland is a great place for a homebase while on vacation if you’d like to spend some time shopping in nearby Denver as well. Or, stay between the peaks in Estes Park in a historical and peaceful resort town. The Rockies are fun for the whole family, and only a 10-hour shot straight west on I-70.
- Mount Rushmore. Your family needs to see this national monument at least once. Load the kids and some snacks into the family car and head northwest to South Dakota. Aside from the awe-inspiring view of the presidential mountain carvings, you can rappel down a cliff, learn about wildlife at Bear Country USA, or take in a western day complete with a chuckwagon cookout and horseback riding.
- Wisconsin Dells. 500 miles northeast in the state of Wisconsin is the world-renowned water park capital, Wisconsin Dells. The family will love the water slides, but there’s so much more to do. Ziplining, amusement park rides, and world-class golfing are all on hand. If you time it right, you could even catch a Green Bay Packers game on a little side trip.
- Music City. Whether you love country music or any other genre, Nashville is a prime road trip destination. Not only is there a chance to catch a glimpse of someone famous but you can take in songwriting circles and pub shows with some of the big names in music. Don’t miss Bluebird Cafe, and shop the eclectic retailers along Clinton Street. It’s just seven hours or so southeast of Kansas City.
- Oklahoma City. If you want to trim the road trip by a few hours, check out Oklahoma City. Discover family-friendly destinations like the Science Museum. Right beside the spectacular museum is the Oklahoma City Zoo and Botanical Garden. Both destinations appeal to kids of all ages.